Friday, May 3, 2013

Athens, Greece. There you go!

So got to Athens yesterday evening so I pretty much count today as day one. So far it's been amazing!  We visited the acropolis this morning. We walked from our hotel all the way to the top. It wasn't as far as it looked like it was going to be. But boy was it hot and dusty! By the afternoon it was about 92 degrees which I thought felt great, but there are a lot of girls who are winter people so they had a hard time with the heat. And they were the ones who got burnt the most I think haha. Then we went back to the hotel and took a nap or had lunch. I ended up finding the perfect wifi spot in my hotel room which is laying down on the ground right by the front door to our room. A little annoying for my roommates when they try to come in but it's literally the only spot my wifi works so whatever. After lunch we walked what felt like a million miles to the archeological museum but once we got there we found out it was closing in a half hour. :( apparently because of all the strikes and the government issues they haven't had enough money to pay the employees who work there so the evening employees just didn't show up today. Soooo we rested there for a little until we decided what to do. Our directors said that that just mean free time until we went to dinner at 7. So then I hear from across the museum these girls say the word beach! So I ran over and we began our spontaneous trip back to our hotel and then to the beach! THANK GOODNESS I brought my bathing suit. Everyone on my study abroad told me not to but I am from California and there was no way I was going to go anywhere without even bringing a bathing suit. We took a taxi to the beach and spend a wonderful 2 hours in the gorgeous water and people sand. It was like a foot massage for our aching feet from walking on all that cobble stone. Then our taxi guy picked us up which was nice but we had to squeeze a little because there were 5 of us and only 4 spaces. He said he's take us but if a police pulled him over it would be a 200 euro ticket! Soo we just ducked in the back. But on the way back I am sitting shotgun and I see these police car drive by us and I see the police officer lean out his window and look directly into our car. My heart was pounding so bad but pleading prayer must have made them blind to the 4 very obvious American girls in the back of a taxi. So we were saved that day. But I don't plan on ridding in a taxi ever again in Greece, and maybe anywhere else. Not the best idea, but it was fast. ANYWAYS after that was dinner at this GORGEOUS restaurant that our directors took us to. The cook who was also the owner came out and told us everything she was cooking for us and I literally felt like I was on the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding because she was the definition of a Greek woman. She talked about making her food with love and getting very fat because she makes the best tsziki sauce and homemade bread drenched in olive oil. She treated us like we were apart of her big fat Greek family which was awesome. I kept expecting her to say "there you go" after everything she said. She TOTALLY told us that the roots of the word anorexia are Greek and mean with ought or lack of and appetite. So she taught us a Greek word that meant we had a good appetite that I can't remember but it sounded like something-rexia so that was cool. And there you go haha. It was gorgeous and the food was AMAZING. Then we walked back to the hotel and I went on the roof of our hotel with a couple other girls. I felt like I was in the Lizzie McGuire movie evern though we're not even in Rome yet. But the whole time looking over Greece I kept thinking "Where is Gordo?? And when is someone going to mistake me for a European pop artist???" Also while at the beach I kept thinking of sisterhood of the traveling pants when Lena goes to Greece and meets Costas. And you'll never guess what our tour guides name is. Yeah, that's right. It's Costas. Except he's like a 60 year old man but still. That's pretty impressive: 3 movie references in one day. Can't believe I wrote this much and it's only the first real day. Probably wont have time or energy to write this much for a while haha but here's some pics and a video of our lovely cook describing the food to us. Can't be sure but I'm like 40% sure she calls the cake a "Bun cake" like in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. But again. I could have just been hearing things haha you can check for yourself:

Well I tried to figure out how to upload any of my pics and videos from my iPhone onto my moms ipad and then on my blog but I can't figure it out yet/don't really have time to figure it out now. So pictures will be coming soon. I'll just put them on later to each post I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment