Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dear BYUH, BYU-provo, and all boys

So, I never do this type of thing, (writing my opinion, like a diary, on the internet, for the world to see) but this is something I feel very strongly about. This is about dating. First off let me say that I love BYUH Hawaii and I think it is the most wonderful school ever and I think you can learn things here that you could not learn anywhere else simply because of how many different cultures are here.
     When I was growing up I always dreamed of going to BYU-Provo. But when the time came and I didn't get in things changed when I got accepted to Hawaii. I was of course disappointed for not getting in to BYU-Provo but I was totally excited to go to Hawaii for school. When I got here I was glad to see the art program was pretty cool and then they added Graphic Design as a major my second semester there so that made things even better. Even though there were scholarship and teacher struggles along the way I am now very happy with the track I have set up for me to graduate here. Couldn't love the Graphic Design program here more and the teachers are truly amazing. However, one thing was missing; dating. After being here for two years, I have not gone on one single date. I have not been asked out on a date and I have never been close to having anything close to a date. I have had more guys walk past me as i'm carrying a load of groceries that is way too heavy for me, then I have had guys give up their seat for me. I have had guys yell and whistle at me as they drive by more times then a guy has opened a door for me. I don't know if guys have this illusion that girls think that yelling and whistling at woman is complimenting or appropriate. Honestly it makes me feel like crap because I am dressing modestly and all I hear is 'I think your attractive but I don't have the time or desire to actually get to know you. So instead I'm just going to yell at you because I can.'  In case you didn't figure it out, this is called objectifying women. We are not on this earth for you to look at and yell at. We are human beings so sorry if I have self worth and want to actually have a normal conversation with you.
   I've been pretty independent most of my life and have never needed to go on dates to be happy, but for a mormon school this is pretty odd..especially a BYU school. Now you could say this might be because this generation is just not into dating anymore and just likes to hang out and then jump right into "going out" or simply boyfriend and girlfriend where you're just friends with benefits and don't go on actual dates. But I've noticed here at BYUH it is something a little bit different; cultural differences. Some cultures truly think it is "weird" or even "wrong" to go on dates. They think it is way too serious and way too much commitment for their liking. Because of this I have heard of girls getting tired of waiting to get asked out and instead they try doing the asking. But because of these culturally different ways of thinking these boys have the tendency to say no to girls who ask them out.
   This brings me to another concern I have which is that boys don't ask girls out and girls are too scared to get rejected by a guy if they ask. I believe there is a reason why boys are suppose to ask girls out. 1. Because it is the gentlemanly thing to do (not sure if gentlemanly is a word but if not sorry). 2. I feel that girls are more sensitive than guys and girls are more likely to say yes on a first date then a boy would. Because girls are more sensitive, it can also be a bad thing because if they are rejected it could have more of an effect on them where a guy can more easily brush it off.  If boys are refusing to ask girls out then thats one thing. But if they are not asking girls out and they are saying no to girls who do ask them out then this takes things to a different level.
   This is why I have been trying to apply to Provo. Simply because I know that there is more dating there, and if I am wrong than I know for sure there are enough people for me to ask out that will say yes at least for a first date. I have applied to BYU Provo I think around 5 times and each time I have been rejected. I am nothing absolutely spectacular when it comes to my brains but I do have a 3.7 GPA and I have been involved in enough activities, work experience and sports that could last a life time. I also believe I am working my absolute hardest to get the grades I deserve and I am overall a very good student. However for some reason Provo find reason not to accept me. Which I can understand to a point but I think anyone who is trying to get in to Provo can agree with me that we know there are students there who do not deserve to be there. You can say this about any school really but BYU schools have an honor code that I know for a fact not everyone follows. Even here at BYUH I know of plenty of honor code violations.
  It hurts and it is frustrating when a worthy, single, good student, active, individual cannot get into BYU. Especially after applying so many times. I am applying as a visiting student for the summer, and while i'm there I plan to try and change things there. Don't know how I will but I would really like to spread some sort of awareness that there are students out there that deserve to be at BYU and there are students that do not. So... dear BYUH students, BYU-Provo students, and all boys in general; get your act together and don't take where you are for granted. You are at one of three amazing church schools that offer amazing experiences and hold some of the most amazing people you will ever meet. Get to know them. You don't have to marry each other if you go on one date. You can go on a date and not have it be complete romance. Go to a concert, go to the beach, get ice cream, pull a silly prank on somebody together, you could even play board games for all I care. You won't always be surrounded by this many people with the same standards, and with the same type of spiritual atmosphere. Don't waste your time playing W.O.W. or Surfing by yourself, watching the entire season of Big Bang Theory, or growing mustaches. Stop. Go ask a girl out, or go to class for once and do what you came here to do. Meet people and get a good education.

3 comments:

  1. Jaime~ I know you could care less to here this from one of your YW leaders but, you are wonderful and very wise. I agree with everything you have written 100%. Believe me it is their loss! I also believe that because of how beautiful you are both inside and out that the boys there think they aren't worthy to ask you out! Which, no man is worthy of us. LOL~ I hope Provo has a change of heart and your right at least guys will ask you out there at least on one date. You are a treasure of a woman, those BOYS in Hawaii are deaf, dumb, and blind! Seriously~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with everything you wrote, sister. I'm beginning to hate this school and struggling with the fact that they don't let ANYONE in. There are so many people here who don't deserve to be and so many others who take our education for granted.

    But if it makes you feel better, people don't date here either. I'm thinking it's a cultural problem among the Church.

    And at least you've found a major that you love. Plenty of people aren't even that lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand where you are coming from hun!! I have been going to BYU-Idaho and haven't been asked out ONCE from a guy! Not ONCE!! I don't like it either, but like Haley said I do think it's a problem amongst the church. I've had more compliments and people who ask for my number at Disney World than I have in the past 3 years at BYU-Idaho

    ReplyDelete